Here are some suggestions to managing anxious thoughts in times of crisis:
- Limit the amount of time spent watching the news. We live in a 24hour news cycle; one can easily become inundated and overwhelmed with the ever changing news
- Unplug--from social media, TV, etc.
- Do what you enjoy
- Learn a new hobby or skill
- Try a new recipe
- Move! Exercise, dance, ride your bike, hike--get the endorphins going! Counteract negative stress hormones like cortisol with physical activity
- Be others-focused. Practice simple acts of kindness and care
- Pray, meditate on the word of God
- Choose to receive the peace of God that passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7)
Father, in the name of Jesus, we thank you that you are our refuge, strength, and very present help in the time of trouble (Psalm 46:1). We thank you that when are hearts are overwhelmed with worry, fear, and anxiety you settle us with your everlasting love, provision, and care (Psalm 23, Psalm 61:2). We receive your word by faith that even in these times of uncertainty, you maintain our lot (Psalm 16:5) and we will experience your goodness (Psalm 27:13). Amen.