"Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness."--Ephesians 6:13-14(KJV)
One of my favorite flowers is the gladiolus; it is a beautiful picture of what it means to stand. This hardy African perennial plant is known for is strength and ability to thrive in almost any yard; it can be planted almost anywhere in the garden. Its erect sword shaped leaves, spikes, and vibrantly colored blooms make them the focal point of a landscape.
Similar to the gladiolus, we, as the children of God are designed to stand in any terrain. We have the ability to thrive in any soil (family) or landscape (community) in which we are planted. As the seed of the word of God is implanted in our hearts at the moment of salvation, our spirit grows. Allow the word of God to grow in your heart! The word of God is alive, quick, powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword (Hebrews 4:12)! The seed of the word planted deeply in the soil of hearts enables us stand in any situation. Even if we think we have forgotten the word, the Holy Spirit will bring it back to our remembrance because God is for us! He really does want us to stand and thrive and progress through life (and all of its challenges) with joy and peace.
Consider these truths of the Scriptures that your heart may be seeded with the word thereby enabling you to stand:
- Genesis 1:26--As children of God, we were created in his image and likeness. We reflect his beauty, strength, and faithfulness.
- Lamentations 3:22-23--It is of the LORD's mercies we are not consumed. His compassion never fails--they are new every morning. Great is the LORD's faithfulness.
- Matthew 5:14--Wherever we go, we are the light of the world
- Psalm 8:5--Arrayed in different colors, we are the flower of his workmanship. We have been crowned with his glory and honor. He ahs made everything beautiful in his time.
- Isaiah 40:8--The word of God stands forever